“If there’s another rooster, he got to be a phoney!”

Quite often folks searching the Internet hit the Carolina Soul site via some variation of the term “Moe The Rooster”, and every few months, we field an email on the topic. The emails are never about the obscure Florence, South Carolina record label that put out at least two 45-rpm records in the early 1970s (listed in our South Carolina discography). Rather, they’re always about the man behind the label, the late Mr. Lonnie Crews, aka Moe The Rooster himself, a successful businessman who operated a record shop and photography studio on Dargan Street in Florence, disc jockeyed on WYNN FM, and most famously to the denizens of the Pee Dee region of South Carolina, hosted a talent show every Saturday on WBTW TV 13. While no video footage from the series seems to have survived, the August 1974 issue of national R&B rag “Soul Teen And Soul” does contain a full-color write-up on the local legend’s TV and radio activities. We are sharing it here because at the moment, we have at least two requests for pictures, and we know even more of you who come across the site may too like to reminisce:

Thanks to South Carolina-based collector Rick Sutton, we are also extremely lucky to be able to share a short montage of audio from the talent shows, circa 1974, below. Enjoy.

p.s. On a future Sunday, keeping with our new ritual of uploading Carolina gospel tracks for your auditory pleasure, we will pick and upload a side from the Southern-Airs release on Moe The Rooster Records.

You need the Flash plugin to play audio.

Moe The Rooster, Talent Show Montage, 1974

Comments

loving the blog! and thanks for the images on this one. facilitates a nice step back in time with the photos, colors, layout etc.

Posted by janique  on  02/15  at  08:37 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this information on the internet, Moe the Rooster was my Mother’s brother and I never had the opportunity to listen or see his show, again I say thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share this information with my family.  If you have any audio, video or any other information you can share with me it will be greatly appreciated.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  03/30  at  11:45 PM

WOW Thanks! I will never forget Moeeeeeeeeeeeeee the rooster, his show and his record shop.Great memories and a great guy, Thanks!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  04/18  at  07:23 PM

Thanks for the information on the local musical giant, “Moe the Rooster!”  “He could talk a “coon” down the tree on a dawg” :-)  I am very much interested in the gospel prayers (The Morning Prayer and The Evening Prayer) by Reverend W.T. Bigelow. He played them daily…early in the am and the beginning of the evening. Do you know where I can obtain a copy of the recordings? I have continued to search the internet for the past 3 years and have not been able to locate a copy. I noticed that it is listed as a HOB 100 series recording.  Any information that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  08/30  at  08:01 AM

He always signed on and off as “Moe the Sweet Rooster” as I recall.  I was wondering what happened to him.  I always thought he was such a character.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/05  at  06:14 AM

“Don’t Meet Me There Beat Me There!!”

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/26  at  11:29 PM

How do I purchase a copy of the Morning and Evening Prayer by Rev. W.T. Bigelow?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  07/10  at  04:55 PM

Would love to see a brief clip of a taping of Moe the Rooster. I was a young teenage boy who would rush home just to see the talent show he use to host. Still a Moe the Rooster fan!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/17  at  04:54 PM